Tuesday 29 September 2015

Civics - rights and democracy 1

SQ1: think of a decision you made recently that involved 2 or more people.  You need to fully explain your decision.  For your decision consider the following:
•a: how was the decision made
•b: how were you involved in the decision-making process
•c: to what extent the decision was democratic 
A:
The Decision To Be Homeschooled

I was recently involved in a decision between my Mom, the attendance officer, vice principal and myself.  We were deciding on weather or not I would be homeschooled or not and how.

Darlene (the attendance officer) had called my Mom and they talked about homeschooling and if it is best for me.  If I would be happy afterwards or not.  They planned a meeting with my Mom, Darlene, the Vice Principal and myself.  

Since the whole decision making was about me, I clearly had a say.  But the adults (my Mom, Darlene and the vice principal) planned everything and decided on the details.  I decided if I wanted to be homeschooled, on what days and periods I would be at the school and who I wanted to meet with, well kind of.  I decided and then they suggested I choose the ILC teacher since I had to meet with him anyways, but I agreed.  

This all had the appearance of a democracy but was not truly democratic because I had final say on if I wanted to be homeschooled.  The school had final say on how I would be homeschooled.  My mom however could at any time choose to agree or to fully pull me out if school and do it all her way.  She agreed, which really was the most democratic part.  In a truly democratic process each person would have voted and have equal say on each decision. 

1. Photo source: brainyquote.com

KQ1: unscramble the following words:
a. silvcc. Civics
b. leuav. Value
c. mtgenenvro. Government
D.  iilvc rsgthi. Civil rights
E.  ccyaromde. Democracy
F.  pepiratcita  participate
G.  ayctorauc. Autocracy
H.  iitenzc. Citizen
I.  irsthg nda eeodmrf. Rights and freedom.
J.  aiojymrt eurl. Majority rule.
K.  tiiormyn thgsri. Minority rights.
L.  secnsnsuo
M.  tislsoiiewrpnby
N.  vspnrweittwrea ccoedymar
O. feiornmd

Why study civics?
To learn your rights and to learn about society and to learn about politics so I understand my rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment