Friday 4 March 2016

Quilt



My picture has the unity flag.  Canadians first became aware of it during Oka and called it the warrior flag, but its the unity flag because all warriors from all Nations will unite under it as allies.  Oka was an important event for my people, it taught us to stand up, it reminds us to keep fighting with Idle No More.  Instead of the symbol of a warrior in the center I drew a picture of my mom being held to the ground with a soldiers boot on her back and a gun at the bottom of her head.  She was only 15 and was bringing clothes, sleeping bags, food and other supplies to the warriors at Oka.  They honored her with a unity shirt.  She had to go through military and police checkpoints every time she went into Kanesatake, and this is what they did to her.  She is still very scared of police and soldiers from this but she did it every weekend anyway and she was only my age.  People like my mom had to do this because Canada wouldn't let the red cross do it.  I think my mom is a hero and represents other great Native hero's here in Canada because she was willing to support what was right even when she was scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment